Sunday, May 13, 2012

Madeira cake 马德拉蛋糕

Classic English Cake

When I found out our newly recruited HR manager was going to celebrate her birthday on Sunday, 29th April, I decided to make her a birthday cake to share it in our Friday morning tea meeting in conjunction with the welcoming of her joining the company.

However, given the short notice and a week day, I didn’t have much time to prepare in the evening after work.  Eventually I chose to make a simple and easy cake. I was pleased Ray offered a helping hand that night and we had a fun bonding time in making the cake together. 
My handsome kitchen helper
Flipping through recipes, I came across this lemony and buttery Madeira cake. Following the Victoria Sandwich I made earlier, this was another classic and simple to make English sponge cake. This cake was traditionally consumed with a glass of Madeira wine, where the name of the cake originated from. Nowadays it is good to go with a cup of tea too.

This cake took longer baking time than usual, about an hour at lower temperature of 160 degree Celsius. Initially, when I saw the cake with cracked surface, I thought it was yet another failed project.
The next morning, I did some google search and was relieved to learn that it was normal for Madeira cake to have peaks and crack on the surface.  I found the cake texture to be very light and a bit dry. It is no wonder the English like it to go with Wine.

I was wondering if I should increase the portion of butter or reduce the baking time for my next trial.
Madeira Cake
I was glad the birthday girl Sandee liked the cake; we had a small celebration at her office before sharing with the rest of the managers in our morning tea meeting.
Happy birthday Sandee


MADEIRA CAKE


Baking Time : 60 minutes
Preparation Time : 10 minutes

Ingredients (serves 6)


180g unsalted butter, softened
Use real unsalted butter. Margarine and spreads have too high water content.

3/4 cup (185g) caster sugar
3 eggs, at room temperature beaten
11/3 cup (165g) self-raising flour, sifted
2 tsp finely grated lemon rind
1 tsp  lemon juice ( I use more – I whole lemon)
2 tsp caster sugar , extra to sprinkle
Icing sugar to dust
1 tbsp lemon zest

Method

1.      Preheat oven to 160°C (315 F). Lightly grease and line the base and sides of an 18CM (7”) round cake tin.
  1. Use an electric mixer to beat butter and sugar in a bowl until pale and creamy. This will take about 5-10 minutes.
3. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. 
 4. Fold in flour, lemon juice and lemon rind stir with a spatula until just combined.
    5.      When smooth, spoon into the prepared tin and level the surface.

 6.      Sprinkle extra sugar on top.
7.      Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
8.      Allow to cool in pan for 15 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely. If desired, dust with icing sugar and garnish with lemon zest.

马德拉蛋糕
材料:
180克无盐牛油软化
使用无盐牛油。人造牛油有含水量过高。
细砂糖3/4杯(185克)
3
鸡蛋,拌打
1 1/3
杯(165克)过筛发面粉
2
茶匙精细磨碎的柠檬皮
1
茶匙柠檬汁(我用 - 我整个柠檬)
2
小匙额外细砂糖,
糖粉装饰
1
汤匙柠檬皮
 
方法
1
。将烤箱预热至160315 F)。
2
。使用电动搅拌机拌打无盐牛油和糖直到轻和蓬松变,这将需要大约5-10钟。
3
。加入鸡蛋,一次一个,每次加入后拌匀
4
。加入过筛发面粉柠檬汁和柠檬皮搅拌均匀。
5
。把蛋糕的混合料倒入已铺上纸及涂上油的18厘米/'7'形烤, 稍微颠一颠模子, 平整面糊。
6
。在蛋糕的混合料上面洒上糖。
7
。将蛋糕糊放入预热好的烤箱,1个小时,直到插入串在中心, 串出来干净即可。
8
。烤好后,将模子冷却15, 脱模。
9
。如果需要的话,洒上糖粉和柠檬皮装饰

4 comments:

  1. I like this cake that without frosting and icing. The powder sugar on is all it need. I like to taste cake not frosting. It would great on dessert platter with other desserts for dinner party slice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. Same here I do prefer cake without frosting or icing, I found it quite fattening eating the icing :-p

      Delete
  2. Perfect texture and delicious! Your handsome helper will be a chef one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. T&T:
      Thanks, he does show interest in watching cooking program with me :-)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails