Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Butter Crumb Sweet Buns with Kaya 加央酥松粒面包 (Featured in Group Recipes)

This recipe is similar to my previous sweet loaf which also extracted from my one and only one bakery book - Baking made easy by Agnes Chang. This is actually sweet sesame seeds buns recipe, but since my boy does not like sesame seeds and I have leftover butter crumb so the sesame sweet buns transformed into butter crumb sweet buns instead J

I started to make the dough on Saturday night, 9pm hoping to be able to bake the bread by following day for our picnic trip. It took me more than 30 minutes to massage the dough before it ready to be left to proof. No wonder, recently I started to notice my arms getting more muscular than ever. J As I explained in my bread story before, I don't have any bread maker and dough mixer to help me in bread making, I hand knead all my breads.

To me, the only frustrating thing about home making bread is the long proofing time. I have a very impatient boy at home that keeps on asking me every now and then whether the bread is ready or not? Over here, it takes ages to proof! I never managed to proof the bread in less than 2 hours in room temperature, even when the weather is getting warmer. I suppose I can only do that when I'm back to Malaysia.

Currently, our room temperature is still less than 20 degree at night. I left the dough sit overnight in the oven, hoping to achieve slower rising, which promote more flavorful to the dough. While, the dough was resting, time for me to rest too by enjoying Halloween scary movie.

The next morning at 7.30a.m when I checked on the dough, it turned out to be nicely proof. I lightly punched down and let it rest for another 15 minutes before I shaped the dough into 9 rolls of 60g each buns with kaya (Coconut Egg jam) filling and 3 plain (Hubby does not like jam) and a small toast bread loaf.

To speed up the second proofing time, I placed the dough back in the oven and switch on oven to set minimun heat  at 30 degree and placed a bowl of hot water in the lower shelf of the oven. I left it there for about 2 hours while I went for my grocery shopping. By the time, I came back from my errand, the second rise was just right, for me to start baking. I managed to get the bread nicely baked in time for our lunch time.

I think this batch of bread was so far my best bread, the texture was so soft and wholesome with butter crumb added the buttery flavor.

Butter Crumb Kaya Sweet Buns - Featured in Group Recieps 05/11/2010
Butter Crumb Toast bread 酥松粒吐司面包
The following slideshow demostrates the making process.




BUTTER CRUMB SWEET BUNS WITH KAYA

Butter Crumb Kaya Sweet Buns 加央酥松粒面包

Butter Crumb Toast bread 酥松粒吐司面包


INGREDIENTS A
600g bread flour or high protein flour
2 tsp instant yeast (I used Edmond Sure Bake yeast)
100g castor sugar
1 1/4 tsp salt
3 tbsp milk powder
1 small egg
300ml to 350ml water
50g soften butter

FILLING B
Kaya (Coconut Egg Jam) – (Optional, you can replace with your favorite fillings)
(You can click to my previous post for Kaya making recipe)

INGREDIENTS C
30g icing sugar
50g plain flour
5g milk powder
40g cold butter
This butter crumb recipe was adapted from 孟老師的100道麵包
(you can replace with sesame seeds as the original recipe asked for)

METHOD
  • Mix all ingredients (A) knead till it can stretch into thin sheet.
  • Add in the butter and knead until the butter combine with the dough continue until it become smooth dough.
  • Place the dough into a lightly grease bowl and cover with greased cling wrap to proof till double in bulk.
  • When dough double in size, to test the dough ready or not - press dough with finger, the impression stays and the dough does not spring back it is ready. Refer to this
  • Punch down and knead again till smooth. Rest for 15 minutes.
  • Divide the dough into 60g each portion, wrap up filling and form into balls, arrange in a greased square baking tray covered with greased cling wrap and let it double in bulk for the second time.
  • (Place in warm place to speed up the proving process).
  • You can also shape the dough into loaf shape and place in greased loaf pan.
  • While waiting for the dough, prepare for butter crumble topping.
  • Place flour, icing powder, milk powder in a mixing bowl, cut the cold butter into small cubes and add into the flour mixture and mix with finger tips until it become crumbly texture. Set aside and ready to use.  
  • When the dough rise for second time, spray with a little water and sprinkle butter crumble on top.
  • Bake at 190 degree Celsius for 15-20 minutes till golden brown.  (After 10 minutes when I saw the butter crumble a bit burnt, I used foil lightly cover the top and let it continue to bake)
  • Remove and take out from the baking tray/loaf pan. 
Note:
Keep an eye on the baking, if you see the crumble a bit burnt after 10 minutes, use foil lightly cover on top and continue to bake until the required time.


加央酥松粒面包 


材料:
600克面包粉或高筋面粉
2茶匙速溶酵母(我用爱德蒙活性酵母)
100克细砂糖, 1茶匙盐, 300ml- 350ml水
50克软化牛油


B
加央酱(椰子蛋果酱) 你也可以换成你喜欢的馅料
你可以点击我以前加央的制作配方的帖子


酥松粒
原料:30g糖粉 50g低筋面粉 5g奶粉40g冷无盐奶油
做法:糖粉,低粉及奶粉混合均匀,再加入切碎的奶油用手轻轻搓成均匀的细小颗粒,(制作时无盐奶油不需要软化。应保持凝固状。搓揉时才不易融化粘手,剩余的的酥松粒装入保险袋里以冷藏保存。这个酥松粒是根据孟老師的100道麵包的方子做的.


面包做法:
将所有材料面粉,酵母,糖和盐放入碗中搅拌均匀, 慢慢地倒入水。
使用慢速度,拌打面团,直到面团形成可以拉得很薄又不会裂与有弹性。如果用手揉,揉面团至少15分钟 ,直到面团光滑。加入牛油揉至均匀。
将面团取出揉成圆形,放入抹油的碗,用抹油过的保鲜膜盖上。让它发至双倍。(放在温暖的地方,以加快发面过程。)把面团打下再揉至光滑,休面15分钟。
把面团分成60克份,包入馅料做成小圆球排放在抹油过的四方烤盘用抹油过的保鲜膜覆盖让它再发第二次面至双倍大。你也可做成吐司面包的形状放置在抹油的吐司烤盘。
当面团发好, 用少量的水喷在发好的面团,撒上酥松粒。(你也可以更换为原来的白芝麻)
使用190摄氏烘约15-20分钟至金黄色后取出脱模。


注意
10分钟后假如看到酥松粒有点烧焦, 就用铝箔轻轻盖上继续烘烤。

9 comments:

  1. This bun looks really soft and nice.. i love all your baking tips :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh great. you have a kaya recipe too. let me look it up. i enjoyed it on my trip to Spore. and wonderful slide show! good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HGourmet Foodie:
    Thanks,great that I can share.

    Kitchenmorph:
    Thanks again for your sweet words.
    Kaya is great with toast bread. The recipe that I have is super easy and fast to make. I'm looking forward for you to try out the kaya recipe, keep me posted on that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Yin, the slide show was a super idea! The butter crumble is a definite must do for my next loaf. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ya..slideshow demonstration of process making is always my best liking choice.
    The buns look yummy & tempting, looks like you have a pair of "great" God gifted hands (planting,cooking,hiking...and everything!?) :)
    Looking forward for more from you oh...
    btw, how's progress on your sewing?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your buns look so moist and sounds so good. Love the crumble touch, I'll definitely use it next time i make buns, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ping:
    Thanks, slideshow def more lively but might slow down the page loading time so I do not use that often.

    Fei Shan:
    Thanks for the compliments, I'm so "Pei Sei" now. Yes, I know I've not upload the sewing page yet, seem like I'm a bit overloaded now with all the outstanding food posts that I still have.

    Green girl:
    Thanks for dropping by. Yes, do keep me posted on your trying.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i looked up kaya. i can't make it immediately as pandan leaves not available here :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kitchenmorph:
    The use of Pandan leaves mainly to add flavour/aroma to it (a bit like vanilla essence). You can omit the pandan leaves if you can't get them.

    You can either opt for Pandan essence if you can get at the bakery shop else just skip it.
    Pandan essence also help to add the greenish color to the jam if you do not wish to caramel sugar into the Kaya.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails