What's for dinner tonight?
Ming Ray's favourite's Crispy roasted pork belly 脆皮烧肉!
Ever since May 2010 when my computing classmate Jenny from Hong Kong, taught me the easy way of home baking crispy roasted pork belly (脆皮烧肉) , we no longer need to patron local Chinese restaurant every week for this dish, great deal of $ has been saved. It has also became one of my signature dish among my Auckland friends.
I'm glad this recipe gets featured in Group recipes homepage for one of their best of week recipes 16/10/2010. http://www.grouprecipes.com/
May 2014 updates :
Just noticed that, I had used this recipe for the last 4 years and I must admit it has since be my signature dish serving on my dinner table every now and then especially during festive occations, it serves to be a routine dish.
Hubby has even master the skill in cutting and presentation too, you can tell from this photo:
Coarse salt 粗鹽
- Shaoxing wine/Cooking wine 紹興酒 1湯匙 - 1 tbsp
- Salt 幼鹽 - 2-2.5tsp
- Sugar 糖 1/2 tsp
- Chicken Stock powder 雞粉 - 1/4tsp
- Sand Ginger powder 沙薑粉 1tsp - optional
- Five spice powder 五香粉 1/2-1tsp – I put 1 tsp
- Wash the pork belly and remove any hair on the rind/skin, pat dry with paper towel.先将五花腩皮上的污秽物及拔除毛洗净抹干水.
- Prick/poke the rind as many holes as possible, this is important step to make the rind crispy. I poke holes using the sharp tip of the veggie and fruit peeler. 用猪插在表面刺松皮, 剌多都不怕,因为剌少会影响皮脆。
- Made a few slits on the meat for better absorption of seasoning.把肉开缝以更好地吸收调味。
- First coat the rind and pork belly meat with cooking wine, then only marinate the meat with above seasoning but not the rind/skin. 腩肉都涂抹上绍兴酒和腌料, 记住腌料只涂抹在肉上，皮是不用腌的.
- Air dry the whole pork belly openly in the fridge with the rind facing upward. Ok to leave in the fridge for days until you wish to bake. Best to leave it for at least 1 day to have good crispy result. 放进冰箱风干, 至少一天。
- Wrap the pork belly with aluminum foil and place in a baking tray, make sure the height of the foil is 1 inch higher than the pork belly. 用钖纸先包在密五花腩, 留下猪皮部位不用包着.
- Coat a layer of coarse salt fully covered on the rind, this to make the water at the rind surface to evaporate to achieve crispy skin effect. 包好腩肉后, 在猪皮上倒下约一吋厚粗盐. 用盐焗是因为要令到猪皮表面水份全部蒸发, 达至表皮松脆效果, 所以没有被粗盐覆盖的地方会较韧.
- Pre-heat the oven at 230 degree celcius for 15 min. 先将焗炉以230度预热15分钟.
- Bake the pork belly at the center of oven for 50 minutes. 将包好既腩肉放入焗炉内焗50分钟.
- After 50 minutes, take out the pork belly and get rid of the coaarse salt. 过了50分钟后取出将盐起走,
- Change the bake mode to grill and reduce the heat to 210 degree celcius and put back pork belly at higher rack of the oven to girll for another 20 minutes or until the rind is crispy. 更改焗式变烤式，减少热至210度摄氏再将烧肉放回焗炉再以210度烤20-25分钟, 烤至猪皮松脆.
- From my experience the rind will start crackling after 15 minuets at grill mode. 以我的经验，腩肉外皮会在15分钟以后开始脆皮。
- Take out from oven and let it cool before served. 烧肉稍凉后斩件上碟. 完成